[SNMP4J] Information on SNMP4J

Reddy Alok-a22624 alokreddy at motorola.com
Fri Feb 10 15:16:49 CET 2006

Hi,
We are facing a problem in receiving Inform Request from NE with SNMP4J
stack. It does reject the incoming Inform request at the Stack level
itself with the reason saying that "unknown EngineID", and we are able
to process the GET/SET operations for the same model & configuration.
The NMS has implemented the SNMP V3 model and operated in NOAUTH_NOPRIV
mode.

The other observation we made during our investigation was, when we add
the securityEngineID on both sides of same value(NMS & NE), This Inform
request was processing, and coming to application level, even then the
Stack is not sending confirmation to the Agent for the Inform request.
When we tried to send Response message for the same Inform request at
application level, NE is rejecting.

The question is: what are the mandatory fields for the Inform request as
per the SNMP and as well with respect to SNMP4J to process the request
correctly and send the response?
Is anybody faced these problems before? How did you solve the problem?.

Could you please help us on this, as we are stuck on this issue. We are
also not able to find out whether it is an issue with the SNMP4J stack.

Thanks in advance,
Alok.