[SNMP4J] manager-agent communication using snmp4j

sarat sarat at indusnetworks.com
Mon Jul 10 07:22:03 CEST 2006

Hello,

I am working on single manager and multiple agents' concept and using SNMP4j package for snmp communication. Presently our Manager has to communicate to 13 different agents running on different machines on different networks and each of these agents communicate with the local snmp enabled devices.

The snmp manager has to continuously poll all these 13 agents one after the other and update the data.  One important point I would like to put on record is that the end user at the manager has a graphical user interface. Using this interface he can set the property or see the various properties of any device with mouse clicks.   Though setting properties is random action, agent polling is done continuously one of the other for all 13 stations.

My query is "What is the optimal way of designing such a manager".   I have solution working fine presently for two remote agents, but would like to have clarification whether it is right way.

Every time we poll a new agent on the remote site we are creating a new object of the manager and passing it dynamically the ip address of the remote site. In our application all remote agents will run on port 3000.  So for every poll a new object is created for which we dynamically pass the remote agent ip address and use the object for GetNext or GetBulk.  Similarly for setting the properties also; upon receiving the user event the manager object is created and dynamically passed the ip address of the remote agent for which the property has tobe set and object.set is used.

Since the object is created within a scope of a condition, I feel as soon as the application comes out of scope the object is destroyed.

I would like to know whether this is a right design for single manager and multiple agent communication, since many times we have to open and close the connections continuously.

One of the alternative ideas conceived was to have individual managers (in this case 13 different mangers each for one agent) so that connection with the agent is opened only once.

One important point is that the manager will be polling the agents for ever 1 sec and the application is expected to run non stop.

Regards,

Sarat Chandra Sekhar.R.