[SNMP4J] Extending MIBs

Ron Fulkerson ronf at zvideo.com
Wed Jun 7 19:48:25 CEST 2006

Hi All,

I am in the midst of writing several MIBs and the accompanying SNMP code
for an existing product.  While I have been working on this I have
wondered what experience people have had setting up an hierarchy of MIBs
for a single software product.

I am thinking of an hierarchy along the lines of something similar to
how java objects extend one another.  For example, if I have a three
classes z which extends y which extends x; is it best to make three
separate MIBs which describe the SNMP components of each class (i.e.
xMIB, yMIB, and zMIB -- using proper MIB extension).  Or, is it better
to implement a single MIB which describes a single view of the product
(i.e. xyzMIB).

Please let me know about your experiences and opinions!

Thanks,
Ron