[SNMP4J] Pulling Router tables via SNMP

Rory Marquis roridge at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 10 19:04:03 CEST 2006

Hi there

Im not sure if what you are asking would be posssible in the way that you
might be thinking.  (Although I am sure that someone will correct me if I am
worg.

The only way that a router that supports SNMP could tell you the routing
tables would be if it had a MIB that would provide you with this
information.

You said that you have read the RFC, and I agree at first they are difficult
to follow. The thing is there might be LOTS of RFCs for the MIBs of your
routers/switches there also might be private MIBs for the routers that are
manufacture specific (in fact i can guraentee that there are).

My advice to you is to do some more research. Start small just by using an
OID from something like the HOST-RESOURCES-MIB or the SNMPv2-MIB or
something like that and throw it at the router to see if it A: implements
SNMP (some don't, honest) and B: that you can talk to it.  Then what I would
do is download the MIB from the RFC and parse it using something like Mibble
http://www.mibble.org/. There is an excellent tool that the Mibble folks
have created which will parse MIBs for you, and send SNMP messages... it's a
good tool to use if you are just playing around.

Then I would go searching for more MIB information regarding your specific
Routers. If they are Cisco you are in luck, take a look in the Mib Depot
http://www.mibdepot.com/index.shtml

HTH

Cheers
Rory