[SNMP4J] Do I need a ProxyForwarder implementation?

Frank Fock fock at agentpp.com
Fri Apr 6 15:07:20 CEST 2007

Hi Alan,

You will not be able to proxy requests based on the OID
and still be SNMP standard compliant when your systems
allow SET requests, because SNMP does not implement a
two-phase-commit (2PC).

The standard compliant ProxyForwarder of SNMP4J
forwards requests based on community, context, and/or
context engine ID.

If you still want to forward subrequests (!= messages)
based on OIDs the you will have to implement something
that similar like the SNMP4J-AgentX API but uses SNMP
as protocol.

Please verify carefully whether the AdventNet solution
is standard conform and works in a real life scenario.