[SNMP4J] SNMPv3 questionS

Marco.Bresciani at alcatel-lucent.it Marco.Bresciani at alcatel-lucent.it
Mon Apr 16 15:21:34 CEST 2007

Hello all,
  I'm going to "enhance" the old application I made past year using
SNMP4J... and I have to put SNMPv3 into it.

Since I'm still not expert at all about SNMPv3, I'd like to ask you some
questions. I've been asked to:
have a sort of "autodiscovery" of SNMP version: a manager should be able
to find out if device is using SNMPv3 or SNMP v2/v1. Is it possible? How?

have a sort of "filtering" on requests:
if v3 managers are accessing my network element, other v2/v1 managers
should be able to read identification parameters only;
if v2/v1 managers are accessing my network element, other v3 managers
should not be able to access the element.
I think this could be possible, but not related to my application but to
embedded source code on device... ;-)

That's all for now,

PS: I've just started to read ALL (...) past messages about v3...

Ing. Marco Bresciani
Alcatel-Lucent
Java Developer
WTD R&D Software Competence Center
via Trento, 30; 20059 Vimercate (Mi); Italy
EMail: Marco.Bresciani at alcatel-lucent.it
Phone: +39 039 686 5546
Fax: +39 039 686 5546