[SNMP4J] SNMPv3 questionS

Jochen Katz katz at agentpp.com
Mon Apr 16 23:24:30 CEST 2007

Hello,

> I've been asked to:
> have a sort of "autodiscovery" of SNMP version: a manager should be able
> to find out if device is using SNMPv3 or SNMP v2/v1. Is it possible? How?

it's like discovering v1 and v2, just send a request to the agent. You
can use any user name, as the v3 agent will reply with a report message.

But for real contact to the agent, the right user name (with passwords
for auth and priv) is still needed.

> have a sort of "filtering" on requests:
> if v3 managers are accessing my network element, other v2/v1 managers
> should be able to read identification parameters only;
> if v2/v1 managers are accessing my network element, other v3 managers
> should not be able to access the element.
> I think this could be possible, but not related to my application but to
> embedded source code on device... ;-)

Without knowing the backround for this request: This looks like two VACM
configurations (read/write for v1/2 + readonly v3 and readonly v1 +
read/write v3)) and the "network element" switches between them
depending on the current state of the element.

Regards,
  Jochen