[SNMP4J] Null value in Variable Binding

Tim Brown tim.brown at skytechnologies.com
Wed Feb 14 07:25:18 CET 2007

Hi,

Regardless of the OID specified I seem to get the same response back
every time.

The response is always:

RESPONSE[requestID=2107916581, errorStatus=Success(0), errorIndex=0,
VBS[1.3.6.1.2.1.1.1.0 = Hardware: x86 Family 15 Model 4 Stepping 3 AT/AT
COMPATIBLE - Software: Windows Version 5.2 (Build 3790 Multiprocessor
Free)]]

When I check the Variable Binding specified it comes back with the value
specified for the OID and "= Null".

For example 0.1.2 = Null

Cheers,

Tim

     Address targetAddress = GenericAddress.parse(address);

     TransportMapping transport = new DefaultUdpTransportMapping();

     Snmp snmp = new Snmp(transport);

     USM usm = new USM(SecurityProtocols.getInstance(),

          new OctetString(MPv3.createLocalEngineID()), 0);

     SecurityModels.getInstance().addSecurityModel(usm);

     transport.listen();

     // Create the target

     CommunityTarget target = new CommunityTarget();

     target.setCommunity(new OctetString("public"));

     target.setAddress(targetAddress);

     target.setRetries(2);

     target.setTimeout(1500);

     target.setVersion(SnmpConstants.version1);

     // Create the PDU

     PDU pdu = new PDUv1();

     // Create the OID and variable binding

     OID myOID = new OID();

     myOID.setValue(objID);

     VariableBinding myVB = new VariableBinding(myOID);

     String checkVB = myVB.toString();

     System.out.println("VB set to: " + checkVB);

     pdu.addOID(myVB);

     pdu.setType(PDU.GETNEXT);

     ResponseEvent response = snmp.send(pdu, target);

     // extract the response PDU (could be null if timed out)

     PDU responsePDU = response.getResponse();

     System.out.println("The response is: " + responsePDU);