[SNMP4J] Help:Snmp4j query IBM AIX machine

Henry Sha spmdbr4521 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 17 06:39:31 CET 2007

Hi,
I'm a newbie on snmp4j. What I'm doing now is using snmp4j to retrieve value
from device by specifying the OID.
I wrote my own class according to org.snmp4j.tools.console.SnmpRequest, and
everything worked well. I mean I could use my class to get informations from
Windows, HP-UX, Redhat Linux etc. But when I try to do the same thing on IBM
AIX, it always returns Null.
For example, 1.3.6.1.2.1.1.1.0(sysDescr) belongs to MIB-2 and every device
should support this OID (isn't it?).
I used a command "java -cp snmp4j.jar;log4j-1.2.13.jar
org.snmp4j.tools.console.SnmpRequest -v 2c -p GET [host] 1.3.6.1.2.1.1.1.0"
to get the string, which the host is the address of the AIX machine. The
result was:
Response received with requestID=1530057314, errorIndex=1, errorStatus=No
such name(2)
1.3.6.1.2.1.1.1.0 = Null
I'm sure the snmp service is turned on because I could use
"SolarWinds"->"SNMP MIB Browser" to get a lot of values.
Is it somthing wrong with org.snmp4j.tools.console.SnmpRequest?
Or is there something different between AIX and other OS?

Thanks!

Regards,
Henry