[SNMP4J] SNMPv3 discovery process question

Tony Willett tonywillett at hotmail.com
Wed May 9 16:38:01 CEST 2007

Hello all, I am still trying to figure out an issue I am having with engine boot time synchronization. I have written an agent application that has an agent object that is loosely based on org.snmp4j.agent.BaseAgent. I also have a manager application that very closely resembles the example code in the javadocs for org.snmp4j.Snmp. I had previously been able to get v3 working between the agent and manager for get and set requests. However, if I start the manager more than 150 seconds after the agent then the agent complains about the engine boot time window in logging and responds to the manager with the 1.3.6.1.6.3.15.1.1.2.0 response. Frank pointed out that I was probably using the same engine id for manager and agent. This was indeed true. I changed the manager engine id to be unique. I am currently adding a UsmUser to the agent associated with the agent's engine id (authoritative engine id). Likewise I am adding a UsmUser with the discovered authoritative engine id. The problem still exists that I can connect and get responses to the manager set/get requests, but if I try running the manager more than 150 seconds after the agent I get the 1.3.6.1.6.3.15.1.1.2.0 response. It appears to me that the auto discovery is not requesting the authoritative engine boot time, so it starts at 0 and is out of window of the agent which is greater than 150. Am I wrong in assuming that the auto discovery is supposed to sync the time in the manager with the authoritative engine's time? Thanks for any help, Tony Willetttonywillett at hotmail.com