[SNMP4J] Listening for traps

Barry Molof bmolof at olf.com
Tue Nov 6 20:12:05 CET 2007

I am seeing some weird behavior while listening to traps on a Linux box.
I am sending the traps from the same box that I am listening to them on.
They are being sent to 255.255.255.255 and port 1620.  When executing
the command below, I don't see any traps at all.

            java -cp "SNMP4J.jar" org.snmp4j.tools.console.SnmpRequest
-Ol 145.1.234.247/1620

However, when I execute the same command with 0.0.0.0 instead of the
box's ip address, I see the traps.  Why can't I see any traps when
listening to the box's ip address?

Regards.