[SNMP4J] Memory Leak in SNMP4J (listening for traps)

Adam Brons abrons at us.ibm.com
Sat Nov 10 02:58:08 CET 2007

Hey Gang,

While writing an application to use SNMP4J to listen for v1, v2c, and v3
traps over UDP we identified a memory leak.  I'm including some log data
run against IBM's JVM version 1.5 as well as Sun's JVM 1.5 using the
SnmpRequest tool to listen for trap messages on port 162/udp. On the IBM
jvm SnmpRequest grew from 0.1% every 5 minutes on the Sun jvm it was 0.1%
every 20 minutes.  None the less, in both cases the foot print continues
to grow.  The command-line I was using to run SnmpRequest in both cases is
as follows: "java -cp SNMP4J.jar org.snmp4j.tools.console.SnmpRequest -v 1
-Ol 0.0.0.0/162"
The testing was done on Linux standard PC hardware running a flavor of
RedHat. For my test the SnmpRequest received ZERO traps (on purpose). I've
yet to reduce the heap size of java such that a heap dump is performed.

FYI on the file contents I was running ps -auwwx every 60 seconds along
with the date command. If you have any questions let me know.

Adam Brons
TSOM Software Engineer
IBM Tivoli Software
(404) 591-8246 office