[SNMP4J] Agent development

Jeff Garrett jeffrey.s.garrett at gmail.com
Tue Nov 13 21:47:55 CET 2007

Hi.
I am developing an SNMP agent.  I think this is a really neat library and
its been very helpful.

I would like to know a couple of things though, I haven't come across any
answers to them yet:
- 2 parts here.
1) What I did was a SNMP walk of all OID-value pairs for a real network
element, the one I want to simulate.  I want to store these with my agent.
I know I can use a SortedMap or LinkedList, but if there is already
something in place I would like to use it.  I've seen lots of references to
a MOServer.  Is this what I want to look into?
2) When a request comes in, I want to go to the Map/List/MOServer and get
the value, or the next value, or bulk value for the request OID. I know I
can get the OIDs from the PDU.  Is there already a method implemented that
will perform the Get, GetNext, GetBulk, Set operation for m?

I would like to know if there is a way to do these 2 parts.

- Also, does the Agent support getting the traps/notifications from a MIB
file?  That is one of the main functions I want to do, send a
trap/notification on demand.  I am pretty sure I know how to send the trap,
but is there a dynamic way to pass in a MIB file and get all the
traps/notifications from it?

Thanks.
Jeff