[SNMP4J] USM with multiple users with same name, different credentials

Venkatraju venkatraju at gmail.com
Fri Nov 23 15:45:01 CET 2007

Hi,

First of all, thanks for this great library!

I am using SNMP4J for a application that gets a few attributes from
devices configured. This works great using v2c to connect to the device.
But I am not sure about the approach to take when using SNMP v3.

The problem is that two devices may have the same user with different
auth/privacy password. How should these users be added in that case?
One approach I am thinking of using:
- disable engine discovery in USM
- Use Snmp.discoverAuthoritativeEngineID to find the engineId for each
  device configured.
- USM.addUser associated with the engineId discovered above

Is this approach ok? Is there a better way? Is there a better way to do this
if I use one Snmp object per device?

Thanks in advance,
Venkat