[SNMP4J] Help with TestAgent!!

Frank Fock fock at agentpp.com
Mon Oct 1 19:57:34 CEST 2007

Murali,

Muralidharan Narayanan wrote:
> - I used WireShark to sniff network. however, I am able to see SNMP get and
> SNMP get-response only. Even those UDP packets are not showing up
> consistently on wireshark. But I can't see any informs (traps) in network.
> Wondering if traps ever were sent from TestAgent. However, debug messages
> says COLDSTART trap was sent. Also, i setup to end COLDSTART trap in a
> constant while loop (for every 5 secs) and still couldn't see in WireShark
> any of the COLDSTART traps

What port are you observing? On some machines, sinffing
on the loopback interface does not work (i.e. Win).

> - I set manager to v3. setup user SHADES (with secName=SHADES, authPro=SHA,
> authPass=SHADESAuthPassword, privProt=DES, privPass=SHADESPrivPassword). I
> checked the "Principal" check box. Had the engineID discovered. context=""
> (no entry), contextEngID="" (no entry). I tried the target address setting
> with both loopback interface (127.0.0.1:161) and actual network address of
> manager. In both the cases, I am unable to receive any COLDSTART at
> MIBExplorer

The engine ID for the INFORM target/user must be the engine ID
of MIB Explorer (note, the inform receiver is authoritative).
In addition, port 162 is the default trap/inform listening port.
May be if you are using port 161 for the agent *and* MIB Explorer,
one of them cannot bind it.

>>> - However, I am able to SEND & RECEIVE "GET/GET-RESPONSE" messages from
> the
>>> SNMP manager on the same PC. I sent GET requests for MIB obj
>>> snmpv2MIB.SysUpTime (1.3.6.1.2.1.1.3) and was able to get response. This
>>> worked only with manager on v2c only, not woring for manager on v3
> though.
>> Seems to be a configuration problem...
>
> I too believe so. Here when I change the SNMP version to SNMPv2c from SNMPv3
> in the drop down and setup read community string as "public", at this time,
> I am able to SEND & RECEIVE "GET/GET-RESPONSE" messages from the SNMP
> TestAgent running on the same PC as the SNMP manager (MIBExplorer). Even
> when I on v2c version for MIBExplorer, I still can't get traps though.

Have you setup trap listening ports within the MIB Explorer
config?

>>> - If I strip down all SNMPv3 references from TestAgent and run it with
> SNMP
>>> manager on v2c, I receive the COLDSTART trap but I am unable to SEND &
>>> RECEIVE "GET/GET-RESPONSE" messages
>>>
>> Not really. What means "strip down" exactly?
>> Most likely something important is now missing...
>>

> Frank, I am actually setting up SNMPv3 for our product. I had previously
> setup SNMPv2c (during our prev communications in 2005 and purchase of SNMP
> tools and support etc also in 2005). When trying to implement SNMPv3, I
> first started by playing with TestAgent where I am having problems. By
> "stripping down all SNMPv3 references" what I mean is:
> * I setup following addTargetParams in TestAgent and commented the
> addTargetparams for SHADES
>     targetMIB.addTargetParams(new OctetString("v2c"),
>                               MessageProcessingModel.MPv2c,
>                               SecurityModel.SECURITY_MODEL_SNMPv2c,
>                               new OctetString("public"),
>                               SecurityLevel.NOAUTH_NOPRIV,
>                               StorageType.permanent);

The only change necessary for SNMPv2C with community public
is:
      targetMIB.addTargetParams(new OctetString("v2c"),
                                MessageProcessingModel.MPv2c,
                                SecurityModel.SECURITY_MODEL_SNMPv2c,
                                new OctetString("cpublic"),
                                SecurityLevel.NOAUTH_NOPRIV,
                                StorageType.permanent);

> * changed secName arg to addGroup method from "cpublic" to "public" for
> v1v2group

This breaks the community to security name mapping.

> * changed contextPrefix arg to addAccess method to "" from "public" for
> v1v2group

OK.