[SNMP4J] SNMPv3 get with out a User Name?

Tom Nicholas tnicholas at optechsw.com
Wed Apr 2 22:45:27 CEST 2008

Hello,

Thanks to all who answered my last query.

The problem we're attempting to solve is, "what if the agent upgrades but
the Manager does not?" And, it still needs to work, or course.  We're
polling using a get in each version to see which one responds to determine
the Agent's version.  Maybe there is a better way to do this?

Anyway, we cannot find a way to perform a get using v3 without specifying a
User Name.  Since we'll be attempting to discover the version and we won't
know any valid User Names for a given (upgraded) agent.  Is there any way to
determine the version of a v3 Agent and subsequently perform gets on that
agent with out knowing a User Name?  Assume no security is required.

Thanks,
Tom