[SNMP4J] General getting started questions

Doug Hughes dhughes at alagad.com
Wed Aug 13 16:31:54 CEST 2008

Hello everyone,

I have a couple questions regarding SNMP4J.  But, before I get too far into
the questions let me prefix them by saying a total newb with SNMP.  I
understand the basic idea that I can read variables and trap messages from
network devices.  Much beyond that and I'm still learning.  (I was
optimistic and assumed SNMP would be "simple".)

Anyhow, I'm ultimately writing a simplified ColdFusion wrapper for SNMP4J.
This wrapper needs to be able to read values from SNMP devides and trap
messages.  For now, I'm ignoring the ColdFusion side of the equation and I'm
trying to focus on getting something to work with pure Java and this has
lead to these questions:

1) In the snmp4j_tool download there is a SNMP4J-mac file.  Is this known to
work at all on intel-based macs?  I receive this error when I attempt to
execute it:

Java for ppc cannot run in this configuration.
Please consult documentation.
VM creation failed.

2) I believe I'm ultimately writing an SNMP agent.  Should I be looking
attempting to use SNMP4JAgent or SNMP4J?

3) I was attempting to follow the asynchronous SNMPv1 sample inthe java docs
here:  http://www.snmp4j.org/doc/org/snmp4j/Snmp.html.  First off, the
example didn't really work and received this message:  Unsupported message
processing model: 0.  I made a guess added a MessageDispatcher and that
caused a different error: Unsupported address class (transport mapping):
org.snmp4j.smi.IpAddress.  I'm not sure I understand this second error and
was hoping someone could shed some light on it.

Doug Hughes, President
Alagad Inc.
dhughes at alagad.com
888 Alagad4 (x300)