[SNMP4J] General getting started questions

Frank Fock fock at agentpp.com
Thu Aug 14 09:34:57 CEST 2008

Hi Doug,

Doug Hughes wrote:

> 1) In the snmp4j_tool download there is a SNMP4J-mac file.  Is this known to
> work at all on intel-based macs?  I receive this error when I attempt to
> execute it:
>
> Java for ppc cannot run in this configuration.
> Please consult documentation.
> VM creation failed.

The SNMP4J-mac file is a binary which will
work on some mac platforms. If it does
not work on yours, then use
"java -jar SNMP4J.jar" which will work
always on all Java platforms.

> 2) I believe I'm ultimately writing an SNMP agent.  Should I be looking
> attempting to use SNMP4JAgent or SNMP4J?

You will need both, SNMP4J and on top SNMP4J-Agent.

> 3) I was attempting to follow the asynchronous SNMPv1 sample inthe java docs
> here:  http://www.snmp4j.org/doc/org/snmp4j/Snmp.html.  First off, the
> example didn't really work and received this message:  Unsupported message
> processing model: 0.  I made a guess added a MessageDispatcher and that
> caused a different error: Unsupported address class (transport mapping):
> org.snmp4j.smi.IpAddress.  I'm not sure I understand this second error and
> was hoping someone could shed some light on it.

IpAddress is not a transport protocol.
You need to use a UdpAddress or TcpAddress instead
to identify the target application (=port) on
the target host.