[SNMP4J] Help with MIB Design

Jothi P Neelamegam jothi at verarisoft.com
Fri Jan 11 18:13:21 CET 2008

Hi All,

This is not a SNMP4J question per se, but thought that is still a good
place to post to get some advice.

I am in the process of designing a MIB. Our agent will need to expose
information from two modules (say Module_A and Module_B). I have a table
for Module_A with the following columns
Indx
Data1
Data2

I was planning to add an augmented table for Moudle_B with the following
columns
Data3
Data4

with indx being the index of this table as well.

The issue is that Module_B is an optional module in our product and
might or might not exist. In other words, the agent might have Data3 and
Data4 or might not have it. What is a good way to architect this?

If I use the augmented table approach above, will the agent need to
return empty values (or some values indicating _not_available_) for
Data3 and Data4 for the case where Module_B is not present? I could have
a scalar to indicate whether Module_B is present or not and then let the
NMS interpret the values of Data3 and Data4 based on this value. Is this
a good idea?

Any suggestions/advice would be helpful.

Thanks in advance.
Jothi

--

The information contained in this communication may be confidential and is
intended only for the use of the recipient(s) named above.  If the reader