[SNMP4J] need help sending a trap

Jeff Ramin ramin at berbee.com
Mon Jun 2 22:30:57 CEST 2008

Hi folks.

I want to send a trap, and I'm not interested in receiving
a response.

My current code:

             snmp = new Snmp(new DefaultUdpTransportMapping());
             PDU trap = new PDU();
             trap.setType(PDU.TRAP);
             OID oid = new OID("1.2.3.4");
  trouble->  oid.setValue("some string");
             trap.add(new VariableBinding(oid));

             Address targetaddress = new UdpAddress(address + "/" + port);
             CommunityTarget target = new CommunityTarget();
             target.setCommunity("public");
             target.setVersion(SnmpConstants.version2c);
             target.setAddress(targetaddress);
             snmp.send(trap, target, null, null);

I think I'm using the OID object incorrectly - if I remove the line labeled
"trouble", things seem to work properly. I see a trap with OID of 1.2.3.4
and a value of null. When I try to set the value, it seems to destroy the
OID; the oid in the packet capture becomes "0.0", and the value is null.

What am I doing wrong? Thanks!

--
Jeffrey Ramin
Berbee