[SNMP4J] Apache MINA based transport for SNMP4J and some question about logging

Julien Vermillard jvermillard at archean.fr
Fri May 23 14:55:41 CEST 2008

Hi,

I'm a commiter on Apache MINA and a great fan of SNMP4J (I use it since
few year). So naturally I made a mina based transport for snmp4j.

Anyway if you look at the code the use of MINA, managed to reduce the
number of LoC, removing all the listener/worker thread code, because
it's using MINA executor filter for processing incoming data.

The first quick implementations here :
http://people.apache.org/~jvermillard/snmp4j/
Basic testing showed it's working. I hope some of you will be
interested ;)

I know it's here because snmp4j is a bit old now, but I think the whole
logging class could be removed to use a logging facade library like
slf4j so the user can choose wich logging framework to use without need
to know about org.snmp4j.log.* classes. Oh, and using sl4j remove the
need to test isDebugEnabled() because it's doing the string
concatenation only if needed. If you want I can provide some patch for
that.

Julien

P.S. : cross-posting to mina-dev list, because I know there is some
snmp4j users there.