[SNMP4J] snmp4j locked on send

Ryan Kruse rkruse at alterpoint.com
Fri Oct 17 00:18:03 CEST 2008

Can somebody tell me if I'm doing something wrong here or if this is a bug?  I'm using SNMP4J to do network device discovery.  We usually run ~25 threaded queries.  It works great on linux and windows but we have some users that get into a deadlock state on solaris.

Here is the stack trace.  The tread in waiting below never snaps out of it.  All targets are given an 800ms timeout.

"10.98.0.3-DISCOVERY" Id=184 in WAITING on lock=org.snmp4j.Snmp$SyncResponseListener at 8ba5a4
    at java.lang.Object.wait(Native Method)
    at java.lang.Object.wait(Object.java:485)
    at org.snmp4j.Snmp.send(Snmp.java:818)
    at org.snmp4j.Snmp.send(Snmp.java:761)
    at org.ziptie.net.snmp.SnmpManager.snmpWalk(SnmpManager.java:183)
    at org.ziptie.net.snmp.SnmpManager.snmpWalk(SnmpManager.java:212)

Here are all of my org.ziptie.net.snmp.* classes that wrap the snmp4j classes, including SnmpManager, so you can see if I'm doing something wrong or not.
http://fisheye.ziptie.org/browse/~br=b2008_04/ZipTie/org.ziptie.net/src/org/ziptie/net/snmp

Ryan Kruse
www.ziptie.org <http://www.ziptie.org/>