[SNMP4J] Localized users and keys

John Marks jmarks at salo.com
Thu Oct 30 21:24:55 CET 2008

I have a similar question to one that was asked last May ("multiple UsmUsers
with identical security name") by Tjip Pasma.

In my case, I made sure that I created a new USM with
MPv3.createLocalEngineID() every time I created a session and added my user
to it. I also added the USM to SecurityModels, which I now think was a
mistake, since the latter is a singleton. Apparently, there can only ever be
one entry for USM in the SecurityModels internal table, since USM.getID()
always returns SECURITY_MODEL_USM.  This also came up in another thread from
November '04 ("Strange problem with multithreaded SNMPv3-Scan").

If localizing users is a way to get around all this, that would be great,
but I don't have clue about how to do it.