[SNMP4J] How to get attributes of object ?

Stephan Fuhrmann stephan.fuhrmann at 1und1.de
Fri Mar 27 17:47:25 CET 2009

Mark Clements schrieb:

Hi Mark,
> E.g. a simple object we have in our MIB, and processed by AgenPro to be
> used by the TestAgent:
>
> scalone OBJECT-TYPE
>         SYNTAX Unsigned32 (0..1000000)
>         UNITS
>                 "1/1000 seconds."
>         MAX-ACCESS read-write
>         STATUS current
>         DESCRIPTION
>                 "Simple Scaler Test 1 for reading and writing an
> unsigned 32"
>     -- 1.3.6.1.4.1.162.1.1.1  --
>     ::= { tpvfMIBObjects 1 }
>

> How to get e.g. the description attribute (or any other attribute that I
> defined in the OBJECT-TYPE?

You need a MIB-parser for this. SNMP4J won't do this for you, it's just
a SNMP stack. A SNMP stack can operate without knowing the MIB (definition).
A possible solution is Mibble. The authors of SNMP4J also have a
commecial product called AgenPro 2.

You may google a little bit and will probably find a lot of MIB parsers.

--
Stephan Fuhrmann
Abteilung Netzwerk

1&1 Internet AG		  http://www.1und1.de
Brauerstraße 48		  Fon: +49 721 91374-4909
76135 Karlsruhe		  Fax: +49 721 91374-212

Amtsgericht Montabaur HRB 6484

Vorstand: Henning Ahlert, Ralph Dommermuth, Matthias Ehrlich, Thomas Gottschlich, Robert Hoffmann, Markus Huhn, Hans-Henning Kettler, Dr. Oliver Mauss, Jan Oetjen