[SNMP4J] SNMP send() exception

Mackay, Scott scott.mackay at progeny.net
Thu Oct 15 16:38:46 CEST 2009

I am using the library, 1.93 I believe, and getting an odd error.

in a SNMP send( send(PDU pdu, Target target) )

it all works fine, but at some point start getting Exceptions listed:
Exception in thread "Timer-24" java.lang.NullPointerException
    at org.snmp4j.Snmp$PendingRequest.pduHandleAssigned(Unknown Source)
    at org.snmp4j.MessageDispatcherImpl.sendPdu(Unknown Source)
    at org.snmp4j.Snmp.sendMessage(Unknown Source)
    at org.snmp4j.Snmp$PendingRequest.run(Unknown Source)
    at java.util.TimerThread.mainLoop(Unknown Source)
    at java.util.TimeThread.run(Unknown Source)

the send does not throw it, though as we have a try/catch around it that does not get raised.
We also check for a null response and a null response.getResponse(), along with checking for
response.getResponse().getErrorStatus()!=SnmpConstants.SNMP_ERROR_SUCCESS
but none of those seem to be true.  The target may have reset, so I am not sure about any built up authentication in a bad state, but surprised none of the above were raised.  I have not reduced the code segment to more narrowly reproduce, but was wondering if there were any other status checks which are normally done to validate the send's results.

-Scott