[SNMP4J] Response to a GETBULK request

Mark Ellison ellison at ieee.org
Wed Sep 9 03:47:57 CEST 2009

Hi Aditya,

On Mon, Aug 31, 2009 at 3:09 AM, Kulkarni, Aditya
(Aditya)<kulkarni8 at avaya.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am new to SNMP4J. I tried out the Get/ GetNext requests in Java and
> they worked perfectly fine. However, the response to a GetBulk request
> appears as follows.
> RESPONSE[reqestID=1468235037, errorStatus=0, errorIndex=0, VBS[]]
>
> The variable bindings are blank and so I cannot parse the outcome of the
> response unlike in the Get and GetNext responses.

The GetBulk operation differs from the GetNext operation.  GetBulk
requires two additional parameters- non-repeaters and max-repetitions.
 See the http://www.snmp4j.org/doc/org/snmp4j/PDU.html javadoc page
for the setMaxRepetiions and setNonRepeaters methods.

It appears that in the absence of being set to an explicit value,
non-repeaters and max-repetiions each have a value of zero, resulting
in response mentioned.

Let the list know how setting these parameters works out for you?

> Thanks and Regards,
> Aditya Kulkarni

Regards,

Mark