[SNMP4J] About VACM views

pradip de pradip.de at gmail.com
Mon Sep 21 20:50:37 CEST 2009

Hi Frank,
thanks for your response. I probably was missing something. So, the strings
in question are names of specific views which I believe correspond to the
root of a specific subtree of the MIB tree. So, I cant understand why
changing it from one view name to another is making it not go out of the
wire. I see that the name "restrictedNotifyView" correspond to the OID
1.3.6.1.4. But when I try to send a trap packet (with OID something like
1.3.6.1.4.1.33936.1.1.1.1.2.1.1) out for SNMPv3 it does not go out but it
does when I change the views for the "v3restricted" access name to all
full..Views. I am pasting the addViews() method for your convenience. I
would really appreciate if you can show me where I am going wrong with the
Agent code.

 protected void addViews(VacmMIB vacm) {
        vacm.addGroup(SecurityModel.SECURITY_MODEL_SNMPv1,
                //new OctetString("public"),
                //new OctetString("v1v2group"),
                new OctetString(agentConfig.getSecName()),
                new OctetString("v1v2group"),
                StorageType.nonVolatile);
        vacm.addGroup(SecurityModel.SECURITY_MODEL_SNMPv2c,
                //new OctetString("public"),
                new OctetString(agentConfig.getSecName()),
                new OctetString("v1v2group"),
                StorageType.nonVolatile);
        vacm.addGroup(SecurityModel.SECURITY_MODEL_USM,
                //new OctetString("SHADES"),
                new OctetString(agentConfig.getSecName()),
                new OctetString("v3group"),
                StorageType.nonVolatile);
        vacm.addGroup(SecurityModel.SECURITY_MODEL_USM,
                //new OctetString("SHA"),
                new OctetString(agentConfig.getSecName()),
                new OctetString("v3restricted"),
                StorageType.nonVolatile);

        vacm.addAccess(new OctetString("v1v2group"), new OctetString(),
                SecurityModel.SECURITY_MODEL_ANY,
                SecurityLevel.NOAUTH_NOPRIV, VacmMIB.vacmExactMatch,
                new OctetString("fullReadView"),
                new OctetString("fullWriteView"),
                new OctetString("fullNotifyView"),
                StorageType.nonVolatile);
        vacm.addAccess(new OctetString("v3group"), new OctetString(),
                SecurityModel.SECURITY_MODEL_USM,
                SecurityLevel.AUTH_PRIV, VacmMIB.vacmExactMatch,
                new OctetString("fullReadView"),
                new OctetString("fullWriteView"),
                new OctetString("fullNotifyView"),
                StorageType.nonVolatile);
        vacm.addAccess(new OctetString("v3restricted"), new OctetString(),
                SecurityModel.SECURITY_MODEL_USM,
                SecurityLevel.AUTH_NOPRIV, VacmMIB.vacmExactMatch,
                new OctetString("restrictedReadView"),
                new OctetString("restrictedWriteView"),
                new OctetString("restrictedNotifyView"),
                StorageType.nonVolatile);
        vacm.addViewTreeFamily(new OctetString("fullReadView"), new
OID("1.3"),
                new OctetString(), VacmMIB.vacmViewIncluded,
                StorageType.nonVolatile);
        vacm.addViewTreeFamily(new OctetString("fullWriteView"), new
OID("1.3"),
                new OctetString(), VacmMIB.vacmViewIncluded,
                StorageType.nonVolatile);
        vacm.addViewTreeFamily(new OctetString("fullNotifyView"), new
OID("1.3"),
                new OctetString(), VacmMIB.vacmViewIncluded,
                StorageType.nonVolatile);

        vacm.addViewTreeFamily(new OctetString("restrictedReadView"),
                new OID("1.3.6.1.4"),
                new OctetString(), VacmMIB.vacmViewIncluded,
                StorageType.nonVolatile);
        vacm.addViewTreeFamily(new OctetString("restrictedWriteView"),
                new OID("1.3.6.1.4.1"),
                new OctetString(),
                VacmMIB.vacmViewIncluded,
                StorageType.nonVolatile);
        vacm.addViewTreeFamily(new OctetString("restrictedNotifyView"),
                new OID("1.3.6.1.4"),
                new OctetString(), VacmMIB.vacmViewIncluded,
                StorageType.nonVolatile);

        vacm.addViewTreeFamily(new OctetString("testReadView"),
                new OID("1.3.6.1.2"),
                new OctetString(), VacmMIB.vacmViewIncluded,
                StorageType.nonVolatile);
        vacm.addViewTreeFamily(new OctetString("testReadView"),
                new OID("1.3.6.1.2.1.1"),
                new OctetString(), VacmMIB.vacmViewExcluded,
                StorageType.nonVolatile);
        vacm.addViewTreeFamily(new OctetString("testWriteView"),
                new OID("1.3.6.1.2.1"),
                new OctetString(),
                VacmMIB.vacmViewIncluded,
                StorageType.nonVolatile);
        vacm.addViewTreeFamily(new OctetString("testNotifyView"),
                new OID("1.3.6.1.2"),
                new OctetString(), VacmMIB.vacmViewIncluded,
                StorageType.nonVolatile);

    }

thanks,
Pradip