[SNMP4J] SNMP trap source always 0.0.0.0

inliner683 at gmx.de inliner683 at gmx.de
Mon Sep 28 10:06:12 CEST 2009

Hi,

>I guess you are using SNMPv1 for the traps, right?
>With SNMPv2c and v3 this issue does not exists, since
>those SNMP version do not include a trap source address
>by default.

Actually you are right in both assumptions! With SNMPv2 +
agent address 0.0.0.0 everything is as expected.

>You can set any IP source address for SNMPv1 traps by
>implementing your own NotificationOriginator.

OK, thank you for the tip. Maybe I will go for the SNMPv2 traps.

But still I have the following issue, both for v1 and v2:

If using localhost as agent address (by overriding initTransportMappings()-method), no traps at all arive at a remote machine. A MIBBrowser running
on the local machine receives the traps with source 127.0.0.1.

Is there any relation between the agent address and the handling when
sending a trap message?

(I don't want the agent to be reachable from any other address than from
localhost, maybe there is another possibility to do that? IP-filtering?)

Thank you.