[SNMP4J] Initial SNMPv3 handshake extra step?

Mackay, Scott scott.mackay at progeny.net
Thu Aug 5 19:15:05 CEST 2010

Hi, related to my notInTimeWindow question....

Wiresharking the initial exchange I see a bit of an oddity when compared to a net-snmp get request.

The first step for both seems ok, sending an empty get request, the engine sending a report back about unknown engined ids.
The next step is send the actual get requested, with the engine id and the user...here is the difference though:
   snmp4j - it sends the request with no boots or time values (0) even though those were send with that reply gotten
   net-snmp - it fills out the boots and time entries.
The result is that snmp4j gets rejected with a usmStatsNotInTimeWindows, fills in the values and then finally sends that and gets accepted.

all of this is within the library's handshaking, not user code.

Is there any reason/flag to make snmp4j fill in those fields in step 2 instead of requiring that additional step?

-Scott