[SNMP4J] reg: USM and MPV3

satish gummadelli satishgummadelli at gmail.com
Wed Mar 24 06:57:30 CET 2010

Hi Frank,
Thanks for your reply.

we have 2 NMS systems,
Our Requirement is , each NMS can configure its own engine id and usernames.
we have multi threaded program which works perfect for one NMS.
after adding a new NMS we are using the same snmp session object with the
different USM [which has different username and local engine ids] to send
the PDU.

Reason why we are adding different USMs are ... because of different
usernames and engine ids.

I have debugged the code and found that .. USM is giving security name not
found and it returns null in USM.getUser() method.

our requirement is to have different multiple USMs for one session to send
the PDUs.

On Wed, Mar 24, 2010 at 5:44 AM, Frank Fock <fock at agentpp.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Why are you using two different USMs and MPv3s?
> You can use a single instance one for each of them.

> On 23.03.2010 12:22, satish gummadelli wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I have a requirement to send a snmp pdu to the 2 different NMS.
> > Till now we have only one NMS and which is running fine with threads.
> >
> > Now after adding the second NMS .. which has its own
> configurations[engine
> > id, address  and user name].
> >
> > what we are doing is we are using only one snmp session to send the pdus.
> >
> > and trying to create different USMs and MPV3 for different NMS and it is
> > giving
> >
> > org.snmp4j.MessageException: Message processing model 3 returned error:
> > Unknown security name
> > at
> org.snmp4j.MessageDispatcherImpl.sendPdu(MessageDispatcherImpl.java:465)
> >

> > our requirement is to use only one snmp session , and using threads we
> will
> > forward the traps to 2 different NMS  systems ...
> >

> --
> AGENT++
> http://www.agentpp.com
> http://www.snmp4j.com