[SNMP4J] snmp4j and UdpPortUnreachable

vitz me vitzme at mail.ru
Fri Feb 15 16:30:07 CET 2013

I'm a beginner with Java and SNMP and trying to perform simple get requests. I faced an issue when the connection timeouts seem to still have an effect, even though the port specified for SNMP connection is closed on the target host.
Is it possible to somehow process the UdpPortUnreachable (exception) within snmp4j? So that if the port is closed the timeout setting would not have any effect. Or what could be a way for getting around this problem?
The only way I could think of was trying to check the port using Java sockets before even trying to send SNMP requests..
Thanks.