[SNMP4J] Handling Requests Where Data Is Unavailable, or Error Handling

m k mkeller01 at hotmail.com
Fri Nov 15 15:29:50 CET 2013

Hello,

In our project, there is a possibility that certain resources may become unavailable, limiting the values we can offer for polling. Rather than return a cached value or a default value that may mislead the user into thinking this is the "real" data, we'd prefer to let them now that the resource can't be retrieved presently. Is there a good way to do this in SNMP4J? I've noticed the protocol supports a "General SNMP Error", is there a way to deliver this when a value cannot be polled?

  Regardless, if the above approach is not feasible, then is there a standard practice (sending some default values, etc.)?

Thank you