[SNMP4J] Handling Requests Where Data Is Unavailable, or Error Handling

Frank Fock fock at agentpp.com
Sat Nov 16 00:45:43 CET 2013

Hi,

According to the SNMP standard GETNEXT (and also GET) request should not
return
errors (an error status).
Instead GETNEXT should skip unaccessible objects and GET should return a
noSuchInstance
exception (or noSuchObject if the object is not supported at all).

Thus, the best way would be to temporaly set the access of non available
objects to NOACCESS.
The rest would then do SNMP4J-Agent.

If you really want to return an error, you may return genErr or
resourceUnavailable.