[SNMP4J] Special Characters in Passphrases

McCarthy, Peter CIV NAWCTSD, 4.6.2.3 peter.mccarthy at navy.mil
Wed Mar 26 11:56:43 CET 2014

Good morning all,

We have SNMP4J in a production system and I've noticed that using special characters in the authentication and privacy phrases doesn't seem to work.  For example, "Password12 at 345678" will fail where "Password12345678" will succeed.  My suspicion is that it is a limitation of the device I'm talking to and not of the SNMP4J library.  Is my assessment correct?  Or are there limitations on the character set for pass phrases that are identified somewhere deep within the SNMP RFCs?

Thanks,

Peter McCarthy