[SNMP4J] Changing security level in v3

George Bachus george.bachus at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 6 04:59:30 CET 2014

Hello,

I am in the process of implementing an agent that will support both v2 and v3. I have the basic agent running for both these versions. The problem I seem to be having is in v3, when I change the security level.
Once I change the security level, all requests to the agent from a manager [with new security level settings], get an "unknown user names " error. Basically the authorization fails.
Now if I restart the agent, then all is fine. The requests get processed and the response is sent correctly.

What i would like to know is that, is it necessary to restart the agent when the security level is changed or is it that I am missing a step or two?
When the security level changes,  I am
* removing the groups from the VACM MIB
* removing the access using the old security level
* adding the groups back again with the new users
* adding the views back again with the new security level.

Any insights to this is helpful.

Thanks,
George