[SNMP4J] About snmp4j agent

Frank Fock fock at agentpp.com
Fri Sep 19 00:26:27 CEST 2014

Hi Jacky,

The ManagedObject implementations MOScalar and DefaultMOTable of
SNMP4J-Agent already provide an in-memory
"database" for MIB data. That data can also be persistently saved to a
file using the a ready-to-use mechanism.

There several approaches to instrument a SNMP4J-Agent. I always
recommend reading the
SNMP4J-Agent-Instrumentation-Guide PDF for the details.
If you finally decide to use an external storage (DB or API of something
else), then you might want
to use the BufferMOTableModel implementations of SNMP4J-AgentX for
MOTable to optimize
the data access for large tables.

You should in any case define a 1:1 mapping from the table's row index
to a device and vice versa.
Then its easy to retrieve or update data for each device.