[SNMP4J] Engine boots and engine time

Jochen Katz katz at agentpp.com
Thu Jun 22 18:22:22 CEST 2017

Hi,

> At the moment I am using an engine boot value of 1 when sending an
> snmp v3 trap to a net-snmp snmptrapd receiver.

you have to increase the engine boot value with each start of your
application/device.

> I am not setting any explicit value for engine time.

The time is the amount of seconds since the last increase of the engine
boots value. So this has to be the uptime of the application/device in
seconds.

> It works for some time but suddenly the snmptrapd starts logging
> "Message Too Old" for messages.

This is the expected behaviour if wrong values are used.

Regards,
  Jochen