[SNMP4J] SNMPv3 Discovery Response

Jochen Katz katz at agentpp.com
Fri Jan 5 20:46:58 CET 2018

Hi,

> When I perform a SNMPv3 discovery via the SnmpB tool, the OIDs:
> msgAuthoritativeEngineBoots and msgAuthoritativeEngineTime have
> always the value "0" for every discover request. But when I perform a
> Get-Request the OIDs values seems to be "working" fine (EngineTime
> seems to has reasonable values).

we set the values to zero as the manager should not trust these values
within a noAuthNoPriv message.

> When I perform a SNMPv3 discovery against a net-snmp Agent
> implementation the OIDs msgAuthoritativeEngineBoots and
> msgAuthoritativeEngineTime are showing values != 0

They decided to fill in the values...

> The question is - what should be the correct response from a
> discover request?

IMHO it does not make sense to fill in the time values as the manager
should not use them. With the next authenticated request it will get the
time values in an authenticated report.

Regards,
  Jochen