[SNMP4J] Java9+ required now?

Maayan, Elhanan Elhanan.Maayan at sbdinc.com
Tue Oct 2 11:11:01 CEST 2018

Hi, I'd like to "hijack" this thread, if it's ok, and ask a few questions about DTLS

We have a java app that communicates with device over UDP, with custom binary protocol, and we are considering a few options on how to encrypt them.

One of them was DTLS, but this was rejected, because of several reasons.

1. DTLS was only recently inserted into java, so we don't really know how stable it is
2. the java implementation, still leaves you with a lot of "low level" implementation like message ordering, (I'm not sure if this can be handled on any other level with UDP and DTLS)
3. java 9 itself is considered broken, eol, and on top of that migrating to it , extremely problematic , I suspect many organizations won't go for it due to those reasons.

How hard was it to integrate DTLS? Have you considered other options?