[SNMP4J] Java9+ required now?

Maayan, Elhanan Elhanan.Maayan at sbdinc.com
Wed Oct 3 13:19:42 CEST 2018

9 is considered broken because there's a compiler bug https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8204322 , in general I believe oracle has killed java with it's 6 months release cycle as they want to monetize it on as much as possible.  9 was never meant for production use, but as a whip to get companies to buy LTS for java 8, (you don't spend years working on something only to kill 6 months after it got out)

I always refer to this mail item in Cassandra's list as to the problems commercial companies would be facing. https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/8a24e6b88309601cf36710a6e7bc011ed98b7a2b1f76ac969b86a26e@%3Cdev.cassandra.apache.org%3E

This would escalate to other open source projects as developers will attempt to race making the project compatible with coming versions.

I mean even today java isn't exactly growing in popularity, but forcing companies to pay oracle's premium prices for it, would drastically change the way management will view it, as they will opt for a accessible products.

the only way for java to remain as it is, is if adoptOpenJDK will be strongly and heavily supported, and even that is questionable.