AgentX support

Guy.HINDELL____opentrade.co.uk Guy.HINDELL____opentrade.co.uk
Mon Jul 17 16:21:46 CEST 2000

Err, yes that certainly makes a difference :-) Looks like I've been fooled
by
something I read on the output of 'netstat -a', dunno what.

However, I notice that the 'subagent2' binary works against the UCD agent
(when
I walk .1.3.6.1.2.1.37 I get three oids back), but the 'subagent' binary
does not.
They both work with the agentX++ master agent. I'll keep playing with it.

Also, I compared the behaviour of the subagent atm_mib with the original
agent++ example running as a stand-alone agent, and that gives the same
result,
but needed a slight fix to compile - gcc complains about the use of an
snmp_community_mib in agent.cpp which doesn't exist if SNMPv3 is not
defined. Needs
a #ifdef :-)

I suspect the same is true for the proxy example (seems to know not to
instantiate
an snmp_community_mib object, but then calls it's add method anyway), and
the
cmd_exe_mib example (uses UsmUserTable from the v3_mib.h).

guy

> I did try running the example subagent contacting the UCD agent as a
master
> (you note that this appears feasable in the TODO document in the examples
> directory), but things aren't working quite right - looks like the
subagent
> registers (but I might be wrong) but no requests are forwarded to it. The
> agentX++ master uses tcp/1510 to listen for agentx subagents, so I'm
> starting the UCD agent to use that port for agentx also...

The default port AGENT++ uses depends on the settings in your /etc/services
file. The UCD subagent does the same by default. Normally you should be
able to run both without setting the TCP port explicitly.

If there is no etc/services entry for agentx, then AgentX++ uses 705 as its
TCP port.

Hope that helps.

* ------------------------------------------------------------------------ *
 Privileged/Confidential Information may be contained in this
 message. If you are not the addressee indicated in this
 message (or responsible for delivery of the message to such
 person), you may not copy or deliver this message to anyone.
 In such case, you should destroy this message and kindly
 notify the sender by reply e-mail. Please advise immediately
 if you or your employer does not consent to Internet e-mail
 for messages of this kind. Opinions, conclusions and other
 information in this message that do not relate to the
 official business of my Company shall be understood as
 neither given or endorsed by it.