SNMPv3 through satellite and dialup on return

Frank Fock Frank.Fock____t-online.de
Wed Feb 21 00:02:54 CET 2001

Hello Ram,

Please see my comments inline:

Ram Krishnaswamy wrote:

> We want to be able to monitor and manage 1000 or more sites. The
> connectivity from the SNMP Manager to the SNMP agent at each site is going
> over satellite (one-way. There is no return path through the satellite). The
> return channel is through a dialup. At each site, the SNMP agent node
> (windows nt) is going to have 5 interfaces.
>
> - Do you forsee any problems in terms of routing SNMP messages in the above
> environment?

Not really.

> - For a getnext request in SNMPv3 format, does the manager and agent
> communicate more than once? Seems like it does when I ran the atm-mib
> example.

Yes, if you use authentication/privacy the FIRST request of a
possibly long sequence of requests will imply up to three request/
response pairs. Subsequent requests will have the same communication
overhead than SNMPv1/v2c requests.

> - How would I limit the log messages put on the screen? I tried to add
> NO_LOGGING to the preprocessor but that did not work. Is there something
> else I have to do?

Yes, you have to add _NO_LOGGING instead of NO_LOGGING (the
preceeding underscore is needed)!

> - How do I tell the SNMP agent to listen to one of the 5 interfaces?

The class Snmpx::receive opens the UDP port. You can override
it and use a socket option to listen on all interfaces of the machine.
But I think this is the default, isn't it?