SOCKS support

Jochen Katz katz____agentpp.com
Sat Nov 17 11:23:19 CET 2001

Hi,

> I am just wanting to know whether the agent++ (with SNMPv3 support) can be
> run using the SOCKS traversal solution. If not, has anybody used agent++ to
> go through SOCKS and how it is being done? I also want to know whether this
> is possible at all without changing the code.

without code changes, only "external" solutions are possible, as
snmp++/agent++ has no native support for SOCKS. One possibility is to
run the agent using the socksify script of http://www.inet.no/dante/

> The other question is kind of related to the above but more to do with
> SNMPv3 and our environment. The way it is setup right now is we have a
> satellite connection taking the SNMPv3 request and a dialup sending the
> response. Since it is a dialup, we have a "controller" of the dialup
> connection that creates the connections, sends UDP packets and disconnects
> the connection after a timeout period if there are no more packets to be
> sent. We are also putting SOCKS support so that we can address some of the
> firewall issues the customer has. Almost all applications go through this
> controller except for the SNMP agent that my group has written. The question
> is how do we make all traps, responses go through the controller that is
> listening on a certain port? Is it even possible without any code changes to
> SNMP++? Any ideas are welcome.

If you just need to change the destination address:port, the responses
ar sent to, you could modify them right after the request is received
(req = reqList->receive(2);).

If the agent has to use SOCKS to talk with the controller, the above
library could solve your problem.

Kind regards,