New to SNMP and agents

Frank Fock Frank.Fock____t-online.de
Mon Jan 28 21:36:19 CET 2002

Hi Kjersti,

Please find my comments inline:

Kjersti Grønnevik wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm sorry if I have sendt this email to the wrong address, and I hope
> you can forward this to the right place! Thanks!

It's the right address ;-)

> I'm totally new to this stuff and I've got a new project with this topic
> on my hands...
> (My job is to create an SNMPv1 Agent with traps)
> Are there anyone that could be so kind and give me some startup help?
>
> Right now I'm just working with MS visuall studio C++
> I have downloaded SNMP++, Agent++, AgentX++, AgentGen standard, libdes,
> rfcmibs
> What else do I need?

Nothing else is needed.

> Do I have to use a linux os or can I use win2000 prof?

You can use Win2000 with VC++6.0.

> I have not fully understood how the different parts play together, and I
> have not found any introduction to the topic on the net either.

LibDES is needed for SNMPv3 only. AGENT++ needs SNMP++ and
AgentX++ needs both SNMP++ and AgentX++. SNMP++ can be used
to build management applications, AGENT++ to build SNMP agents,
AgentX++ to build AgentX enabled SNMP master or subagents.

Hope this helps.