[AGENT++] SNMP++v3.2.3b and Borland - Help needed

Jochen Katz katz at agentpp.com
Mon Feb 9 22:51:30 CET 2004

Hi,

first: from where did you get the old version 3.2.3b? The current
release ist 3.2.10...

> completely. What I really need is to know how I can use this code to
> develop a GUI interface with the SNMP operations of my choice using the
> code itself, what I say is that I don’t want to perform this operations
> through console built applications (like the consoleExamples). I’m

well you can still use the consoleExamples as base code and instead the
command line args you will need some windows that gets this values from
the user, and instead of printing with cout you will have to create some
GUI output mechanism.

> trying to do this with Kylix3 C++ IDE from Borland. If there is a
> suggestion of any other tool for develop GUI applications using C++ code
> under linux, I would appreciate it.

You can use Qt. The current release already has a simple QtExample.

> called SNMP++ and it's an open source. Well the code provides a src and
> include folder among others (consoleExamples, etc). In the src folder can be
> found several .cpp files and makefiles for building the code in different
> platforms, linux included of course. I'm using the Mandrake 9.2
> distribution. I did compile the code using: make -f Makefile.linux, then
> several .o files corresponding to each .cpp appeared and a library .a file
> named libsnmp++.a which I can't use because it was built with g++ instead of
> bc++ . The question is how can I use this code I found in Kylix?. Do I need
> the library?, can I compile with bc++ in order to use the library?

You have to compile it with bc++ in order to use it. I don't know if the
command line arguments of bc++ are compatible to g++, but changing g++
into bc++ in Makefile.linux could solve all problems.

If you want to use SNMPv3 you will need libdes or libtomcrypt from
snmp++ download page, if you don't want to use SNMPv3 you will have to
change config_snmp_pp.h

Just create a new library project for snmp++ and add all .cpp files from
src direcory to it, add the include path and set the defines you see
when building snmp++ with Makefile.linux and compile it.

> It's possible to use the code as it is?, I mean, without
> compile it first and compile the whole thing including my Kylix project
> which would include code using these SNMP++ classes and functions,

You can simply add the files src/*.cpp and include/*.h to your project
and compiel it with your code, but I would prefer a project for snmp++
and one for your code.