[AGENT++] Building Windows and Linux versions...

Mr. AWD mrawd at excite.com
Wed Feb 18 17:49:03 CET 2004

Here is the link to the tool that converts VC7 project files back to the VC6 that I used (http://www.codeproject.com/tools/prjconverter.asp). You can get them directly from http://www.codeproject.com/tools/prjconverter/prjconverter.zip for the binaries or this one http://www.codeproject.com/tools/prjconverter/prjconverter_src.zip for the source code. Basically, it converts .sln/.vcproj file pairs into the .dsw/.dsp pairs.

> >Second question is about the installation on the XP. XP has Windows File
> Protection (WFP) and there is no way to delete/rename original snmp.exe,
> because WFP brings it back right away. I tried to set it up as an SNMP++
> in the different folder and so
> >
> Reboot your system in "safe mode without networking" (press F8 while
> booting) and
> stop the SNMP service, then copy snmp.exe to snmp.exe.bak and rename
> agentX++win32master.exe to s nmp.exe. Then reboot. Now you can start the
> SNMP service
> again and it will be the agentX++Win32Master (you can verify it because
> it should return
> some nodes in the 1.3.6.1.4.1.4976 sub-tree). BTW, please make sure that
> you are using
> AgentX++Win32 v1.1.

Well, good and bad things to come out of this!! The good one is that procedure works and I was able to replace MS SNMP agent with the one that was built. The bad thing is that I couldn't start the service and got the same error message when try to started from my self created service entry. The very same executable still works on Win 2000, tough.

> On Linux, the master agent uses port 4700 by default. You can start it
> with "master 161" to
> use the standard port 161, but make sure that you have superuser rights
> then.

Yup!! This worked and agent accepted several queries and even worked with a few SETs! My guess is that I should be able to change the default 4700 port setting to the 161 instead so I would have to be a superuser every time I start the service.

One more question. Since there are several make files that we need to run in order to build all the pieces, is there somewhere already created One make file that to rule them all, I mean to build them all! I will make one if there is nothing created so far, but that would be a surprise.

Thanks

Fedja