[AGENT++] V3 User vs. security name confusion...

Jochen Katz katz at agentpp.com
Sat Jun 18 01:28:55 CEST 2005

Hi Fedja,

> I am working on the UI for the configuration of the Agent++ and I
> have a question regarding the User and Group Entries. For setting a
> user you need to specify a User Name.

> Then for the Group entries, you
> need to use the Security Name. Are those two the same ones and that
> is how you assign different privileges for the different users or
> there is an actual difference between those two?

you're writing about this function:

boolean UsmUserTable::addNewRow(const NS_SNMP OctetStr& userName,
                    int authProtocol,
                    int privProtocol,
                    const NS_SNMP OctetStr& authPassword,
                    const NS_SNMP OctetStr& privPassword);

Then I have to admit, that the UsmUserTable is missing the following
function:
boolean UsmUserTable::addNewRow(const NS_SNMP OctetStr& userName,
                    const NS_SNMP OctetStr& securityName,
                    int authProtocol,
                    int privProtocol,
                    const NS_SNMP OctetStr& authPassword,
                    const NS_SNMP OctetStr& privPassword);

The two UsmUserTable::addNewRow() functions with key as arguments show,
how it should be done: The function that only gets a username passes
this name as user and securityname to the second function.

SNMPv3 RFC define username and securityname. These can be different, but
(as I remember) the RFC suggests to always use identical names.
Therefore the simplified function that only takes a username.