[AGENT++] Switching from net-snmp to agent++

Manuel Werlberger m.werlberger at avibit.com
Tue Aug 1 10:22:06 CEST 2006

Harry ten Berge wrote:

> Hi Manuel,
>
> Whe're planning exactly the same operation due to the numerous
> problems with the net-snmp libraries.

Good to hear we're not the only one with problems ;-).

> The only thing I can think of where net-snmp has an advantage over
> snmp++ is that it has an OID resolver from numerical to textual and
> vice-versa.
> This however can relatively easily be done with libsmi
> (http://www.ibr.cs.tu-bs.de/projects/libsmi/).

Ok i'll have a look at it. But i think we will do a workaround with
creating a file that does the mapping between numerical and textual
OIDs. Because we only have to read in the mapping once at the program
startup it isn't that big deal (the program should run for days without
restart ;-) ).

> But it would be really, really nice if snmp++ got some kind of OID
> resolving itself (libsmi is a not very actively maintained project and
> doesn't work out-of-the-box on windows).

Of course that would be the best solution.

Rgds,
 Manuel