[AGENT++] AgenPro2

Frank Fock fock at agentpp.com
Sun Oct 22 00:45:44 CEST 2006

Hello Johnny,

Johnny Ljunggren wrote:

> My bad wording. Is it a preferred way or are there better ways?

You may also use the templates in the AgentX++/agen/master/src directory.
Which one you choose depends on your requirements.
> It works well as it is but there is one thing I am unsure of. When I start
> net-snmp as a subagent it complains about a few OIDs that it cannot
> register. By changing the net-snmp sourcecode slightly I finally got a
> list of the MIBs/OIDs that it complained about:
> SNMPv2-MIB
> SNMP-FRAMEWORK-MIB
> SNMP-MPD-MIB
> SNMP-TARGET-MIB
> SNMP-NOTIFICATION-MIB
> SNMP-USER-BASED-SM-MIB
> SNMP-VIEW-BASED-ACM-MIB

The above MIBs cannot be registered by a sub-agent, because
they are always provided by the master agent (otherwise the
whole system will not work). From my point of view, the
NET-SNMP subagent should not try to register those MIBs.
> IP-MIB::ip
> TCP-MIB::tcp
> UDP-MIB::udp

The above MIBs should be not problem. May be the
subagent uses an OID that conflicts with other OID
part of the AgentX++ master agent. If you can use
the tables defined within the MIBs, you can then ignore
the error. Otherwise, the NET-SNMP agent needs
a fix to register a more specific OID.
> NOTIFICATION-LOG-MIB::nlmLogTable
> NOTIFICATION-LOG-MIB::nlmLogVariableTable

This MIB is also part of the master agent and should not
be registered by any subagent.
> I tried to comment some of the mib.add's in master.cpp but that only led
> to crashes. So instead of just keep trying in the dark I try to ask this
> group.
> What is the proper way of dealing with this issue?

Some of the MIBs of the first group must be always part of
a SNMPv3 enabled agent. The crashes occur because this
requirement is not checked at all places in the code.

Hope this helps.