Antwort: [AGENT++] please guide me about the MIB definition and implemention of a subagent

Jens Engel Jens.Engel at marconi.com
Tue Jan 30 14:37:06 CET 2007

Hello Leo,

1a. With SNMPv3 you could also use SNMP-CONTEXT name (as part of the SNMP
header) to distinguish information from subagents.
1b. With SNMPv2/v2 the SNMP-COMMUNITY-MIB provides a concept to map SNMPv3
context into a part of the SNMP-COMMUNITY (as prefix or postfix).

But if you want an overall table view with information from all subagents,
your solution is good.
But then you need to use "Shared Tables".
With SharedTables you have the problem that a user cannot create rows
directly (in an generic SNMP master agent).
Because the SNMP master will normally not know to which subagent, a row
creation should be delegated.

Leo>             the MIB (i assumed that the OID is 1.3.6.1.4.1.1111,
named demoMIB) have two conceptual
Leo> table, one is named basicTable with two columnar object,
basicNo(index object) and basicID(
Leo> uniquely identifing one subagent), another is named infoTable(using
basciID as index object) with
Leo> one columnar object, infoIp(ipv4 address for this subagent).

Just curious, why you need the "infoTable".
Each subagent connects itself via AgentX to its SNMP master agent
(listening on its AgentX port).
Therefore, the subagent needs the Master IP address (or UNIX pipe) on
subagent startup.
On the other side, the SNMP master agent needs to accept the subagents IP
address(es)
-> Normally it accepts only its own IP address (for security reasons).
-> Can be configured in Agent++/AgentX++

Therefore, I see no reason for "infoTable".

Ciao,
Jens Engel